What Remains
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread

3 posters

Go down

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Empty Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread

Post by Frank Mon May 23, 2011 12:59 pm

As said in the title, I finally got the time to open this little Forum Gallery here. 's not much, just an additional source to upload pictures here. First album created is this one: https://whatremains.forumieren.de/gallery/Various-Screenshots/Various-Screenshots-cat_c2.htm

I will try to upload atleast each 5-6 days one new screenshot there. Eventually, I will open more albums, for user created art, etc. You may also use this topic here from now on to "discuss" the screenshots newly posted. I will keep you in touch here if a new one is uploaded.

Regards,

Frank.
Frank
Frank
Developer

http://falloutwhatremains.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Empty Re: Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread

Post by LagMaster Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 am

nice job, Frank. 2 things:
1. in the screen with the church, the statue in the front is not correct alingned, if it can be rotated a bit(5degrades to it's right,maybe less)it will look better
2. on the world map, how about you use some sort of brown circle
LagMaster
LagMaster
First Trip Ever To The Badlands

Back to top Go down

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Empty Re: Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread

Post by Eternauta Sun May 29, 2011 6:27 am

Love them. Would you mind if I brought them to Taringa?
Eternauta
Eternauta

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Mon May 30, 2011 12:59 am

LagMaster wrote:nice job, Frank. 2 things:
1. in the screen with the church, the statue in the front is not correct alingned, if it can be rotated a bit(5degrades to it's right,maybe less)it will look better
2. on the world map, how about you use some sort of brown circle

Unfortunately I can't rotate it, else it would look too stiff. I agree that the angle looks a bit weird, so I may cut the graphic out of the game.

To the second point: yes, some color/palette changes will be made.

Eternauta wrote:Love them. Would you mind if I brought them to Taringa?

Sure thing, just post it there. Wink

Back to the topic, here are two random screenshots...

Testing new tiles to see if they fit to the enviroment:

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Deshjz7fh3y

Loot window and button showcase:

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread 0ae897ca6165ae5c9f298a6039bacec0
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternauta Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 am

The ground on the first screenshot looks awesome!
Eternauta
Eternauta

Back to top Go down

Post by LagMaster Tue May 31, 2011 7:17 am

tiles are awesome and the loot scren is better than awesome
1 questin, what happens if there are more than 15 items in a place?
LagMaster
LagMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 am

LagMaster wrote:
1 questin, what happens if there are more than 15 items in a place?

You can just scroll through it. Wink Either mousewheel, or with the arrow buttons I am including right now.
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Random Screenshot for today.. This is a loadingscreen. I am not sure if I will keep this structure at all, with those "game hints" as they may break the 4th wall... Loading times aren't even that long to read all I fear. Anyway, if I scrap it, consider it as some kind of "introduction" to the game, heh.

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Abc2u47
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by LagMaster Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:05 pm

just put a preloader and after is done transform it to a proceed button
the game is SG, so it will not matter that much
LagMaster
LagMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:23 am

LagMaster wrote:just put a preloader and after is done transform it to a proceed button
the game is SG, so it will not matter that much

Heh, that's actually quite a really good idea. Inpatient ones can just click it away, other people can take their time and read it. Good suggestion!

Improved it a bit, has now a loading bar (this was harder to make than I thought Shocked )

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Testem1e
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternauta Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:48 am

I really like how that loading screen looks like.

Let me ask you, is that "Character: press C to open..." text a random hint that will appear in every loading screen, while the text below ("Lady, this place...") is a description that will always be tied to the location you are going to at the moment?

In other words: in every loading screen, will you have the following structure?:

[Random useful hint about the game]
[Description of the current location, in the form of a quote]

Or will it have more possibilities, like:

[Random useful hint about the game OR random info about ingame story]
[Random info about the game world]

I bet you've noticed, many games have this kind of stuff. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are examples. However, in both cases it's a random hint OR a random comment about ingame story, places, etc. I personally like this kind of things, especially if they give the player some bit of info or knowledge about the game world, that the character "must" have heard somewhere (just like we have at least heard about interesting places or historical events of our homeland, for example).

If you have not yet decided about this, I would vote for a structure like this one:

[Random useful hint about the game]
[Description of the current location, but not in the form of a quote]

Being "in the form of a quote" means that it'd look like an actual ingame dialogue line by an NPC (like in your screenshot). I personally think that would not fit well, and that it would be better if you could meet different NPCs who know certain stuff about the game world and tell you about it, but when you get info via a loading screen it does not copy what the NPC said, but instead offer the info through a "neutral" voice. Or even better: in first person ("I've been told that a skilled mechanic can be found in this town", just for an example) and only triggered IF you had actually read certain dialogue lines.

Just sharing some thoughts, hope they are useful Smile
Eternauta
Eternauta

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 am

Aye, it'll be like that:

Eternauta wrote:
[Random useful hint about the game OR random info about ingame story]
[Random info about the game world]

although, I am not strictly following this structure.. There'll be a wide variety of them, so you don't see the same few screens all the time. Sometimes it's a quote, sometimes some description of a place/person etc, sometimes just a hint, sometimes both things mixed. I don't follow a strong structure on that, as you can see in the following:

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Test2ngzq
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:41 am

And here's the last one I did so far. Will do them always in a bunch so I don't get bored by doing the same thing all day long.

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Test3tkcg
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternauta Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Sometimes it's a quote, sometimes some description of a place/person etc, sometimes just a hint, sometimes both things mixed. I don't follow a strong structure on that...

Nice, it's a good choice and I like how it looks.

Loving the last one you posted, especially with the old photography... Uh, this could be a little bit offtopic but there's a video that might offer some inspiration for your work, it's called Talking Pictures and you probably have already watched it, it has been uploaded by the same guy who uploaded The Accidental Sea.

Eternauta
Eternauta

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I've today made some sort of "breakthrough" in mapping - it involves doing custom graphics in photoshop with much more fluent editing and style in opposition to the tile-based placing of the official mapper, it's kind of doing maps for the games in the Infinity Engine (Baldurs Gate etc). Long story short, it looks like this:

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Mountaincopy1skhn
^

That's just a preview, use this link here: http://www.abload.de/img/mountaincopy1skhn.jpg to view it fullsize, as it's very large. This is only a template, there will be more detailed stuff later on ( I was even thinking about some small "waterfall" or so, let's see if I can pull it off heh) so don't let yourself scared by the rather dull look. Wink
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by LagMaster Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:56 pm

hehe, awesome
LagMaster
LagMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:57 am

Finally finished that damn looting window, edited and alligned other interface elements to the same hue variable..

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Pickup2

And some small input device..

Forum Gallery opened/Random Screenshot Thread Mesbox
Frank
Frank
Developer

Back to top Go down

Post by LagMaster Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:31 am

cool
LagMaster
LagMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down